Electrical inspection and testing in the workplace
The objective of electrical inspection and testing is to ensure the safety of your electrical installations more effectively
Electrical safety regulations
The Electricity at Work Regulations (EAWR) 1989 (1991 in Northern Ireland) are made under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. These regulations require that employers as ‘duty holders’ must provide a safe working environment with regard to all electrical equipment and systems, regardless of when they were manufactured, installed or brought into use.
Employers, the self-employed and employees all have duties and obligations in complying with the requirements of the regulations, which apply to all places of work, with no exemptions. All electrical systems must be maintained in a safe condition and an important aspect of such maintenance is periodic inspection and testing.
Achieve compliance with Bureau Veritas
Many companies struggle to meet their obligations using in-house personnel due to lack of time, resources and knowledge of this specialised field. By putting your trust in Bureau Veritas, you can have complete confidence that your electrical installations are safe and compliant, with all inspections completed to the required frequency according to the latest regulations and accompanying guidelines.
Periodic electrical inspection and testing
It depends if it is a newly built installation or an old one, but a periodic electrical inspection needs to be carried out from time to time. This periodic electrical inspection should be carried out by a visual inspection that consists of a full inspection and testing procedure and is followed by the completion of the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).
These certificates are documents which must be kept by both the "person ordering the work" (i.e. the owner) and the "competent person"(qualified electrician) completing the inspection and testing procedure.
Bureau Veritas - Experts in electrical safety
We offer a comprehensive range of trusted electrical equipment inspection services to help achieve compliance with the IET wiring regulations (BS7671), including:
- Fixed electrical wiring inspection and testing
- Portable electrical appliance testing
- Risk assessments of fixed electrical installations
- Drawings, tracing, labelling and schedules of electrical installations
- Thermographic surveys
- Electrical safety auditing
- Emergency lighting inspection and test to BS 5266 standard
- Electrical load analysis
- Public entertainment licensing testing
- Lightning protection systems inspection and testing
- ATEX / DSEAR inspections for explosive atmosphere electrical installations
- Electrical safety assessments for plant and machinery
- Achieve and maintain compliance with all relevant regulations, including IET wiring regulations (BS7671)
- Help ensure the safety of your premises for staff and visitors
- Enable better planning of maintenance and repair programmes to spread costs
- Drive cost savings through early identification of ‘hotspots’ and potential breakdowns
- Reduce insurance premiums through electrical safety auditing
- Gain complete peace of mind from a trusted, independent inspection partner with no financial association to contractors
- One supplier to drive efficiency of inspections
- Innovative approach to inspections with online tools to add value including Swift, giving 24/7 access to inspection reports
- Expert team of qualified inspection engineers operating nationwide, supported by a central planning team
Bureau Veritas is a global leader in testing, inspection and certification (TIC) and has more than 190+ years of experience meaning that we also can assist you in other areas of your business if needed.